Living The Life That God Has For Us....

God's Plumbline Ministries is called to repair devastation in the lives of God's people allowing restoration both physically and spiritually. Providing creative solutions for employment, education and life skills allowing God to repair and restore hope.  Empowering each community to establish a secure foundation both inside and out, while keeping in tact God given talents and uniqueness, not focusing on man's ways but God's ways.  Developing working relationships within social and economic circles, working hand in hand with community leaders to bring the love and compassion of Jesus Christ. 

Sunday, February 7, 2010

Cliff


This picture of Cliff speaks volumes to me.
Cliff is an Orthopedic PA from Oregon who went to Haiti on one of the Kids R Kids flights with us.
He had tons of reservations about going to Haiti and rightly so.
We talked on the phone about these reservations.
He said he needed to pray with his wife and he would call me back.
I love that he didn't just say, yeah, sure, what the heck.

I have been in the place Cliff is sitting - physically, emotionally and spiritually.
No answers, hundreds of questions.
My body needing to sleep, wondering why I couldn't just shut my mind off.
I needed Jesus to be bigger then this whole thing, I needed Him to be real, really real, not just the talk I had been talking, the stupid version of Christianity I used to think was real, until now.
What was I thinking!
Why on earth did I think I could do this.

Maybe I should tell people who are thinking about coming to Haiti is that it is a little like playing "Clue" everyday, but it starts over every single morning, so if you didn't like to play it as a kid, you will like it even less now.
Especially when it is about your life and the life of nine million others.
I have also said, "it is also like Schizophrenia making perfect sense".

In the past few weeks, I have been asked hundreds of questions like...
What do I think about Pat Robertson and Laura Silsby?
Was he right to say that? Should she be in jail?
Did God do this to Haiti because of Voodoo and sin?
Why isn't there a government in place.
Is Bill Clinton going to do a good job?
Can you help me find my family?
Why can't you get me a child to adopt right now?


Here is what I do know...
Haiti still leaves me speechless.
At times I still feel like I am playing "Clue".
Haiti was broken from the worlds point of view way before Pat Robertson or Laura Silsby came on the scene.
Bill Clinton, the U.N., the Red Cross, and UNICEF are going to be viewed as part of the problem and/or the solution depending on what you believe to be truth.
Over the past ten years of working in Haiti I have had to learn to guard my heart and close my mouth.
I know that the quick simple answers don't work in Haiti, never have and never will.
I also don't think Jesus is sitting in heaven ringing His hands wondering what to do.
He didn't play "Clue" not even once and neither can I.
I can only do what I have a passion to do, but before I can do anything, I have to know that I know that Jesus loves me.
Doing this kind of work will make you question all that you know to be true, all that you know to be right and good.
You will need to know Jesus has a clue, He is the clue.
And yes, there will be days you wonder if you have a clue!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sheila you have such a way of putting into words exactly what I feel in my heart for Haiti. :-)