Living The Life That God Has For Us....

God's Plumbline Ministries is called to repair devastation in the lives of God's people allowing restoration both physically and spiritually. Providing creative solutions for employment, education and life skills allowing God to repair and restore hope.  Empowering each community to establish a secure foundation both inside and out, while keeping in tact God given talents and uniqueness, not focusing on man's ways but God's ways.  Developing working relationships within social and economic circles, working hand in hand with community leaders to bring the love and compassion of Jesus Christ. 

Friday, June 20, 2008

How Long?


It has been a busy few days around here. For dinner we did the tourist thing and went with some of the team that are here for nanny training to Mac Epi - Haiti's version of McDonald's. Really, you're thinking. Umm,No! Not even close, but our kids enjoy it.
As everyone finished up with their ice cream and we started to leave Georgia said to me, "How long does it take for you to stop noticing that everyone is staring at you?" Wow! I had made some progress because I didn't realize that I didn't it notice anymore. I was a little taken back for a second and couldn't think of an answer.

When we first moved here I talked to Beth about it and she said that culturally it is acceptable and people don't think twice about it. I, however, felt like a bug under a microscope for a long time. In the beginning coming to a stop while driving could be almost painful while everyone in the tap-tap sat there with mouths open staring at us, frozen in that moment. Or if we had to stop on Delma you would have several children with their faces pressed on your window staring at you begging for money or food. I will never be good with the kids on the street, but now walking down the street, driving or being in the grocery store with everyone talking about you is just part of life here. Sometimes in the ackwardness of it all you often find yourself laughing wondering what they find so interesting. I guess it is no different from me taking three hundred pictures in one day.

So, how long? I guess six or seven months because I don't notice it anymore.

No comments: