Living The Life That God Has For Us....

God's Plumbline Ministries is called to repair devastation in the lives of God's people allowing restoration both physically and spiritually. Providing creative solutions for employment, education and life skills allowing God to repair and restore hope.  Empowering each community to establish a secure foundation both inside and out, while keeping in tact God given talents and uniqueness, not focusing on man's ways but God's ways.  Developing working relationships within social and economic circles, working hand in hand with community leaders to bring the love and compassion of Jesus Christ. 

Sunday, March 7, 2010

Living Hope...

Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have.

But, do this with gentleness and respect..."



The thought of this mother asking me why she should have hope has haunted me since I read Peter's words.
I keep thinking, "God in heaven I hope she never asks me a question like that".
I am having a hard time with these words.
It isn't that I don't believe them, because I personally have hung on to the fact that we have hope in Jesus for dear life over the past few months while learning to live out this season of my life.
If this is what I am thinking...can you imagine what she must be thinking.
Me, a white woman, who can get on a plane and leave at any time, telling her to have hope!
I feel very unqualified to say these words when I am in Haiti.
My heart races just thinking about it.
I liked Peter so much better when I pictured him as the guy who really messed up and denied Jesus.
On some level, I can relate to Peter way more than what I want to.
He and I know the "right" answers when life is good, but do I have what it takes on every level to do the right thing?
It is terrifying to me to think about having the guts to do the right thing no matter what, coming face to face with the bottom line - Do you love me and will you feed my sheep?
I can't imagine what Peter was thinking when Jesus said, dude, your gonna deny me, end of story.
Peters words have been rolling around in my heart....we have a LIVING HOPE.
How exactly would I tell this woman she has a living hope?
Me, what would I tell her?
Not what I have heard from the platform, what do I personally know about hope.
I have cried about this many times, telling the Lord my words seem empty.
I have a home.
I have my husband and children.
I have food and water.
In my confession, maybe I was trying to get off the hook.
I said, it was wrong of me to say these things when I can just get on a plane and leave.
It was in my tears and frustration, I heard the Lord say, these are NOT your words they are mine.
I am the only living hope for the world today.
I am the one who speaks these things into existence, not you.


I did find comfort in these words.
I will continue to battle with this question, knowing that I have to come to peace with it.
I thought this statement spoke well of how I am feeling....

"There is a lethal absence of hope - it is that simple and that complicated."
Father Boyle, CNN Interview with Anderson Cooper

No comments: