Living The Life That God Has For Us....

God's Plumbline Ministries is called to repair devastation in the lives of God's people allowing restoration both physically and spiritually. Providing creative solutions for employment, education and life skills allowing God to repair and restore hope.  Empowering each community to establish a secure foundation both inside and out, while keeping in tact God given talents and uniqueness, not focusing on man's ways but God's ways.  Developing working relationships within social and economic circles, working hand in hand with community leaders to bring the love and compassion of Jesus Christ. 

Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Funny...

For the most part, I think things in Haiti are funny peculiar vs funny Ha-Ha! But, every once and awhile, they are funny Ha- Ha! Maybe they wouldn't be funny if I didn't live here. Many days I feel like crying so maybe I laugh instead of crying.
I will give you a few examples and you can deciede what you think, funny peculiar or funny Ha-Ha!

1. I ordered eggs on Monday. No, we don't buy them at the store we order them, the "sista's" lay them and Big Eyes brings them to us. We have had an egg war going on for months and Big Eyes is always in the middle since he takes care of the chickens. You have to get in line for eggs and you may not get them for a week. We need eggs for all of our programs, if you live here you come last. Our workers buy them and sell them, our sewing ladies buy them and sell them, we need them for the kids, Tuesday Early Childhood Development and Thursday Prenatal classes. At times John has even had to buy them back from the workers for more than he sold them for because the kids needed them.
On Tuesday, Big Eyes come to my house with my egg order. I only waited one day, I was so shocked. I said to him, Wow, you are really good at getting the "sista's" to lay eggs! He said, yeah, I had to slap them for your eggs! We will skip the picture that went through my mind. It hit me funny. Why, I don't know. I started lauhging and couldn't stop.

2. We had pancakes for dinner with our eggs. But, the syrup had mold on it. Since when? Since when do you get mold on syrup? I have had syrup for months in the States and never had mold in it.

3. Today as I was returning from the morning car pool run when I came to the intersection just in front of the police station. Every thing was at a stand still. No one was moving, the police stood in the middle of the intersection with everyone looking at them, and people stood on the street next to their cars. I was thinking oh, great! Some one got shot! No, they all stopped because the national anthem was being played at the police station. Are you kidding me? Never have I seen that before.

4. Beth was telling me the story about Jeffy playing with the kitchen toys on Monday at the boys house. When he came to the strainer and said, this is for bugs! Well, yes, it is, sorta! But, only a kid in Haiti (or another third world country) would say that.

5. Every day for the last two weeks Dan has caught a rat in the depot. He is in the States doing house stuff and if you think for one minute I am going to open the door to the depot and check to see what is there you are so wrong.

There you have it......

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

#1 was definitely funny Ha, ha!

As for mold on the syrup...here's a tip. My mom always made our syrup. Not sure how easily accessible white and brown sugar are in Haiti, but she would take 1 part white sugar and 1 part brown sugar to 2 parts water (1 cup white, 1 cup brown and 2 cups water). Bring to a boil and then simmer for a few minutes to make sure all the sugar is melted. Serve! It is watery than regular syrup, but I love it, and pretty much refuse to buy syrup from a store!! My family has grown to love it too!

~Amy in Wisconsin

Jessica said...

6. We're driving home to the beach and Maddie and Parker are riding in the back of the truck. We pass a naked lady on the street and quickly look back to see M and P's reaction. When we get to the beach Parker jumps out of the truck and says, "mom, I saw 12 dead animals and one naked person!"
definitely HA HA funny.
7. We're driving home from the beach and we watch the little dog dart back and forth across the street then....well you know what happened. Maddie definitely thought that was funny
hahaha
i feel like i could add 100 more. when you live in haiti it definitely all becomes ha ha funny after awhile!

Jessica said...

oops number 6 shouldn't say home in it...lol