Living The Life That God Has For Us....

God's Plumbline Ministries is called to repair devastation in the lives of God's people allowing restoration both physically and spiritually. Providing creative solutions for employment, education and life skills allowing God to repair and restore hope.  Empowering each community to establish a secure foundation both inside and out, while keeping in tact God given talents and uniqueness, not focusing on man's ways but God's ways.  Developing working relationships within social and economic circles, working hand in hand with community leaders to bring the love and compassion of Jesus Christ. 

Friday, March 14, 2008

Exam Week!!


You will have to forgive me for not having a blog in a few days - it has been exam week here at school. Little did I know what that meant! Thinking back to exam week at school in the States I never really liked it. I still don't like the idea of it, so me being the one in charge isn't what I had in mind, but it is part of what I need to do.
I can say that this week has been a test of my understanding of the Haitian school culture, creating a wicked learning curve, often referred to as, "baptism by fire"!
I have said, "You've Got To Be Kidding Me" this week more than I have ever said it in my whole life. Today, was the biggest,"You've Got To Be Kidding Me"! I had to remove the teacher from the class for talking to the students and giving the answers to them! Hello? Why was she helping them? Again, "You've Got To Be Kidding Me"!

Lesson Number One: In the Haitian culture, she would not be considered a good teacher if she didn't help them cheat because, very simply, she knows all the answers. Logical? No, not really, it all seems confusing to me because while she teaches class it is normal to hit them with a ruler, grown woman, with a ruler, or to encourage the whole class laugh at them if someone can't answer the question or heaven forbid asks a question considered to be foolish. It seems to me that this all is a bunch of mixed signals. I will admit and I am the first to say, I don't begin to understand how all of this works.

By Friday, we had reached the last step in our testing! I was so relieved because part of me had been holding my breath for each of them. Will they pass? It was twelve o'clock,class was ending and each lady was clearly on her way to having
compleated a project that they could be proud of and the class room was full of giggles. I am so proud of each of them!

Stay tuned for the fashion show!!

No comments: