Living The Life That God Has For Us....

God's Plumbline Ministries is called to repair devastation in the lives of God's people allowing restoration both physically and spiritually. Providing creative solutions for employment, education and life skills allowing God to repair and restore hope.  Empowering each community to establish a secure foundation both inside and out, while keeping in tact God given talents and uniqueness, not focusing on man's ways but God's ways.  Developing working relationships within social and economic circles, working hand in hand with community leaders to bring the love and compassion of Jesus Christ. 

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

We have a rooster in our house...

As I walked into our new house to check on the progress, I heard myself saying...who's rooster is this? Followed seconds later by, "who's dog is this?" as he jumped up and down nipping at my arm like a yo-yo that wouldn't stop. All the while thinking, "what on earth are these animals doing in our house?" My thought was short as Dan quickly reminded me, "when we get our dog make sure that if he gets a rooster he does it in our house or yard so we don't have to pay for it." Rule Number One: If your dog catches someones chicken or rooster you are at their mercy to pay them what they think it is worth. The house is coming along well by the way.

As I got in the John's truck to go back to their house and wait for the kids to arrive home from school, I saw a woman who couldn't have weighed one hundred pounds on her best day. This didn't look like her best day to say the least. I couldn't begin to guess her age, she looked so old, but I am sure she wasn't. She was dressed in rags, none of this is what caught my eye. It was the load of badly rusted scrap metal car parts that she carried on her head. Really! It wasn't just one or two unidentifiable things it was several. I am sure it would take her hours to reach her destination at the pace she was walking down the road with tap-taps and cars going past her as if she was "normal". The Problem: she was normal. In Haiti this was her life. However, there was no place in my mind that I could find for this picture to fit allowing this to be "normal".
It was such a perfect picture of the weight some of the Haitian women carry everyday as they struggle to take care of and provide for their family. I wondered about the statement you hear so many people say so freely, "God will never ask you to carry more than you are able." We need your grace and compassion Lord!

1 comment:

Lorraine S. said...

Hello Dan & Sheila,
Thank you for this blog and the reality check of a world that exists outside of our American bubble. After the Chrismas frenzy here, with the focus on big spending, traffic jams at the mall and eating until we are sick, this blog gives us the opportunity to make a connection with the "rubber hits the road, Christianity" Thank you for your faithfulness and commitment.
Peter & Lorraine Sconhoft